Monday, January 09, 2012

Best Of 2011

While compiling this list I've realized that things that make me happy, are things that aid in "escape" for me... adventures outside of Utah, seeing thing through the eye of my son, watching friends evolve -living through them. This year has been exhausting, frustrating, and wonderful. Enough that I wanted to capture the greatest things (that I recall) about it.

Here, in no particular order (as of now) is my list...

My very awesome birthday weekend
- In which I ran a 1/2 Marathon, had at least two different birthday parties, and then went to the bike prom with Shaun! This weekend was spectacular!!! So much fun, so many awesome friends... It makes me miss warm weather, and people having fun.


This also brings me to Tim friend. The awesome friend I met while eating at House Of Tibet. Never have I made a friend that I clicked with so quickly and loved so much right away!! Now he's moved away but I am very lucky that he's my friend!




Introducing Django to action (not that he gets it
)... The first protest was a rally at the capital building against the anti-immigration law proposal. He INSISTED on making his own sign, and getting a stick for it, it was a bunch of pain scribbles and people loved it! He told me it said "don't hate". Later he helped with the carriage horse campaign where he also made his own sign again (traced letters this time). He told me what he wanted the sign to say and made it. He passed out SO MUCH literature it was incredible! We even made him a coloring book to pass out. I love that he did this with me, so awesome!





Disneyland with my family!
From Christmas to New Years my WHOLE family went to Disneyland... It was exhausting but SO MUCH FUN! The best part about the whole trip was the look on my Dad's face after we rode Tower Of Terror. Amazing. Other great moments were when Django became a Jedi, and fought Darth Vader. YES!!!



Django's first soccer goal
! Watching the little guy play tee ball, and then soccer was such a crazy realization that he's getting bigger. I can't believe he's four now! Things have changed so much in my life with him in it! I don't have a digital picture of him in his soccer stuff but this baseball one is super cute! He was really naturally good at sports, it made me super excited! When he finally GOT soccer he was so into it, maybe a little to much when he started pushing kids out of the way to get the ball. Pretty funny! He also hit the ball from the coach in baseball, not off the tee!



Discovering Glee... It's stupid (I know) so it doesn't really warrant a photo BUT, this was something that brought me together with friends, and consumed my life for the month until I got caught up on it. Sometimes you just need this escape!

Meeting Phil
- The internet/ phone best friend I'd made 5 years prior and I FINALLY got to meet! I was seriously so nervous about seeing what he was like "in real life" and being let down but he was everything I expected and more. So sarcastic, compassionate, fun, hilarious, I can't even describe how awesome he is. How much fun I had with him sitting and doing nothing! He's one of the most amazing people I have ever met!



Showing Django NY
- This trip was frustrating, confusing, and exhausting but the highlights made it worth it! Showing Django the NY water front, his eyes in times square, getting to introduce him to friends I love, how excited he got over the rats and the squirrels in the city, I can't wait to take him back!!!



5K with Karlin
- This was cool, I can't even explain how awesome this was! Not only was it Django's and my Dad's birthday, before the epic Thanksgiving pizza we made but... my sister and I ran a 5K together! She is indirectly responsible for getting me into running, and I was so happy that she is running again! It was a lot of fun, one of the most real moments that we have had together in a really long time. Running has a way of doing that... breaking down your defenses and making everything about it real, and memorable. I will have to find the camera with the pics of my sister and I on it, but this pic is from the same day... of Django running a shorter race, also very cute!



Watching the Descendents on the Philly Pier... everything about this trip was life changing. From seeing friends that I had been disconnected from in years, riding the train and talking to Aaron about veganism, learning that Jeff went vegan... seeing Mike glowing like I had never seen him glow, good food, meeting Phil, running into awesome friends from SLC that I hadn't seen in ages... but standing on a pier watching a handfull of my favorite bands play. The warm air, the crowd, the surrealness of what I was witnessing, where I was, the feeling of that moment I will never be able to duplicate, or forget. It was perfect. I have, and don't need a photo to remember that moment... but if I find my camera I will upload something from that trip.

This year has been long, and eventful. Many other incredible moments took place such as awesome and memorable runs and adventures with Murray- a friend I met that was like no other! Someone who has changed the way I look at running, at cooking, at being a friend, and at life. He's one of the best people I have met in a long time and even though we're not really hanging out any more, I am lucky he's been in my life. Hanging out with Greg- always so much better in real life than over the phone or online, winning "Best Desserts and Sweets" award from City Weekly, aaaah- so many more!!! It's good to remind myself of that right now in the throes of winter when I am feeling my usual seasonal depression, and disinterest in everything. I have seen incredible changes in my family, friends, my little one. I have gotten stronger physically, mentally, and culturally. I have incredible people in my life, and I am eliminating the people and things from my life that are doing nothing positive for me. I can't drag around that dead weight any more. Here's to 2012, let's see what adventures you have in store...

No comments: