Thursday, May 07, 2009

Triathlon training

My body is a wreck. I have been training for triathlon for a few months now and now that the season is here I have stepped up the intensity for my training.

Yesterday was the first ride with the team on bike. I got to ride my new bike!!! I LOVE my new bike, it's beautiful, and amazing, and the first thing I have bought for myself (well, when it gets paid back) in the longest time! It feels good to treat myself.

I had a little trouble initially with the pedals, I am using clipless pedals (and I still don't get why they are called that if your feet are clipped in to them) but I definitely right off the bat forgot I had my feet clipped in... first stop sign BAM down on the ground. Hahaha people must have been laughing at me! I got the hang of it but I seem to have A LOT of anxiety about riding near traffic because of it.

This week I did a timed mile swim. It was 35 min. which I am not happy with and I hope some day to look back on that number and laugh at myself but I swam a mile and that's pretty awesome! I also ran 3 miles that day, I am trying to do a couple of work outs each day.

On the bike ride yesterday we did almost 20 miles I think and my coach was trying to teach us about transition which was good to learn, and then we ran after the ride... I could only do a mile for some reason. It's REALLY awkward to get off a bike ride and then use totally different muscles for running, it takes a little bit to get used to it. I think I will have to practice that one more for sure.

I'm incredibly proud of myself for coming from doing very little exercise to this! My first race is the 21st, and I will just be happy if I finish my first one (I WILL).. but there will be many more through out the summer, and by the end of the summer I will be doing Olympic distance instead of sprint.

I had no idea getting everything I needed and entry fees would be so expensive but hopefully once I have it all I'll be good for a while... sponsors anyone?

1 comment:

deadcityrebel said...

man, i remember the first few MTN bike rides using clipless pedals. i endo-ed once with the bike still attachted and forgot to clip out and my legs got all twisted up in the frame etc. pretty gnarly. still fun tho.